Two ways to upgrade Vtiger 6.5 to 7.1
There are two ways of updating vtiger to a new version.
Option #1 – Upgrading Vtiger Using Patch
The first way is to use the patch provided by Vtiger. This method is very similar to earlier versions. You will need to backup your files and database, download the patch, extract it, and run the VTiger 7 migration wizard.
If you are upgrading from 6.5 to 7.1, you will need to run this process twice. First to upgrade vtiger 6.5 to 7.0 and after that repeat the process to upgrade vtiger 7.0 to 7.1
- Download the migration path from the SourceForge site. Patch 6.5 to 7 or Patch 7.0 to 7.1
- Unzip patch.zip into Vtiger CRM Folder. A file called vtiger7.zip and migrate folder will be unpacked.
- Through browser open /migrate path http://yourcrmurl.tld/vtigercrm/migrate
Follow the instructions provided on the wizard.
If everything works as expected, you will see the confirmation screen.
Option #2 – Upgrading Vtiger 6.5 to 7.1 Directly with a clean installation
The second option is to start with a clean installation of vtiger 7.1, connect your database and run the migration scripts to make it up to date.
This option, even if more complex, will let you upgrade from an older version (up to 5.4) directly to vtiger 7.1 Even something like 5.4 can be upgraded to vtiger 7.1 with this methodology. This method provides a significant increase instability and a big decrease in headaches.
- Download and install a fresh copy of Vtiger 7.1 – Follow this tutorial if you need help with it
- In your old Vtiger disable all the custom modules and log out, do NOT close the tab.
- Create a copy of the old database
- Edit config.inc.php and replace the database base name, user and password to connect to the database you create in step #3
- Edit vtigerversion.php and replace 7.1.0 by your current vtiger version
- Copy your custom module folders to the new installation. Go to /modules/ and copy the custom modules folders to the new installation
- Copy your /storage folder to new installation
- Copy your /user_privileges folder to new installation
- Through browser open /migrate path http://yourcrmurl.tld/index.php?module=Migration&view=Index&mode=step1
- Edit vtigerversion.php to update the version 7.1.0
- Re-install the custom modules with the zip file provided by your vendor if you need to.
If everything works fine, you should have a clean install of Vtiger 7.1, with all your data and custom modules on it.
If you are a ‘do it yourself’ type of person and have enough knowledge about VTiger and its’ upgrade process – you should be able to do it yourself.
On the other hand, if you consider your data too valuable to take the risk, we at VGS Global can do it for you.